Sunday, November 15, 2009

Nature Photography

This is what I really want to do.

I recently read (but didn't get to hear yet) an NPR piece on National Geographic photographer Paul Nicklen. I joined Combat Camera initially hoping to be a photographer so that I could gain enough experience to work for the Smithsonian, NG or NPS. (Sorry fellow videographers, but it's true!) I already have my BS in Biology. All I need now is a degree in photojournalism.

My love of nature didn't happen overnight. When I was a scrawny, freckle-faced little kid I spent an ungodly amount of time outside alone just looking at nature. I studied birds, trees, lizards, insects, streams, you name it. With my little Golden Field Guides, I could label anything.

Mom likes to tell the story of my first Easter egg hunt when I came back with a basket of rocks instead of eggs. Who needs stinky old eggs when you can find rose quartz on the ground? I thought the other kids were crazy.

I still become transfixed by nature. I go to the beaches and just sit and look at the ocean. Just sit for hours. Infinitely better than TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment