Monday, August 9, 2010

TACOMA, WA

Last year I was TDY in Tacoma, WA. A few hundred feet from the hotel was the BEST used bookstore in which I have ever set foot. It was a labyrinth of shelves covered in literature. Many of the books ran $1-$3, and I would drop $20 in one visit. I had to limit myself severely since I was flying home and space in my suitcase was limited.

I used to live in Tacoma a few years ago. Actually, let's say...13 years ago. The city of Tacoma 13 years ago was dirty, industrial and dangerous. You didn't drive down there. It was a place you had to go to, not wanted to.

I can't tell you how shocked I was when I saw how transformed it was. Public art displays, walking paths along the water, restaurants, museums, and a definite change in mood. It was beautiful. Even the train depot was a lovely thing.

I plan to go back again next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment